• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 6 days ago by LectronFan.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      LectronFan

Hi all,

How about adding a new module to the Digital Logic Lab which is able to display the numbers 0 to 9 in Decimal and 10 to 15 in Hex ?

Well, here it is !

This module is a nice add on for the Lectron counter 4520. It simply snaps at the right of it and will display the numbers presented at it’s Q0 -Q3 inputs. The same Q0-Q3 is available at the right of the new display module so it can be placed in existing circuits without the need of  rewiring it.

So, what is HEX ?

Well, following table explains it all :

HEX Table

Normal  display drivers such as the CD4511 only display the numbers 0 to 9. The HEX numbers A,B,C,D,E and F are simply ignored.

To display these, we will need a special driver chip which is not available anymore (obsolete).

I decided to use a microcontroller with some discrete components. It scans the inputs and outputs a HEX number to the 7 segment led display. This happens at a clock rate of 8 Mhz, fast enough for our Lectron circuits. The module is very power friendly thanks to the use of a segment display operating at a very low current (typical 1mA per segment). It emits a bright readout though.

It is safely powered by 9V thanks to a small voltage regulator build in the display module.

Here are some pictures :

HEX display1

HEX display2

HEX display setup

And here a video of the working principle : Lectron HEX display

Many greetings,

Frank

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by LectronFan.
      • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by mwpeters75. Reason: Changed font and size styling for easier reading
      mwpeters75
      Keymaster

Hi Frank,

Wow, this is really excellent customization work.  A hex display has never been done before (to my knowledge), congratulations!  I especially appreciate the video showing the new circuit in action.  Wonderful!  

Your vacation has really put you into high gear 🙂 

Welcome back and thank you for this new circuit!

Best,
      Michael

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by mwpeters75.
      Guenni75

Hi Frank,

that is really helpful and great work, thank you!

Which obsolete hex driver do you mean? Perhaps I may find a collector of these specials with that IC…

May I offer your block in my (our!) Lectron File Card Collection?

Best,

G.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by mwpeters75. Reason: Changed font and size styling for easier reading
      LectronFan

Hello Guenther,

Very kind of you to check for this chip.

The driver chip mentioned is a MC14495 and can still be found but it’s quite expensive.

And for fellow Lectroneers who want to build this module, it would be easier to use a ATTINY84.

It has the advantage that it costs only €2 and that the program can easily be adapted.

Also the chip is widely available.

I will gladly share the code if anyone’s interested and I still have a few PCB’s.

I would be honored if you would add this module to your library, many thanks.

Maybe Lectron is also interested ?

Many greetings

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by mwpeters75. Reason: Changed font and size styling for easier reading
        mwpeters75
        Keymaster

Hi Frank,

Sadly, there will likely be no further Lectron System development as Mr. Kopperschmidt has ceased being involved with Lectron, GmbH.  There are no plans that I am aware of regarding replacing Mr. Kopperschmidt’s role as developer and designer.  I hope that I am wrong about this!

Guenni75

I ordered the MC14495 for EUR 1.36 including shippment – let’s see if / when it will arrive…

G.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by mwpeters75. Reason: Changed font and size styling for easier reading
      LectronFan

Hi Guenther,

This is really a great find !

I will make a PCB for this chip and try it out.

More info soon …

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by mwpeters75. Reason: Changed font and size styling for easier reading
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.